, Owners: Jytte and Bob Wheeler, Bremerton, WA. Carousel is a full displacement, Ed Monk Sr. design built on the Tacoma, WA waterfront at Cummings Boat Co. in 1953 as the "APRIL ANN" for a Mr. August Seymore, 3305 North Union St., Tacoma, Wa. She is a typical 1950's Monk design with a few subsequent but useful modifications. We are the 5th owners. She is 42' long with a beam of 12' 6" and a draft of just under 3 ft. The hull is 7/8" Port Orford cedar over 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" steam bent oak ribs, 9" OC, fastened with galvanized boat nails except at the plank butts where it has galvanized screws. (she is not wedge seam construction) Cabin sides are 1" Honduras mahogany recently refinished by the owner. The original canvas deck covering was removed in 2003 and replaced by the owner with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. Carousel is powered by twin, counter rotating Chrysler 318 marine V8 engines driving 3 bladed 19/18 bronze props with 1 1/2" stainless steel shafts through 2:1 Paragon reduction gears and V drives. Cruise speed is 8.5 Kts at 1800 RPM consuming 5.5 GPH total. She has two VHF radios, two GPS's, PC based navigation system with GPS overlay, Radar, two depth sounders, a built in CO2 fire fighting system, two heads and a six person dinghy. Based on engine data plates, she was re-engined in1976. In 2005, the port engine was "long-blocked" by the current owner due to a timing chain cover corrosion/erosion failure allowing 6 gallons of coolant to be pumped into the crank case. The starboard engine, though 30+ years old and with 3500 hrs on it runs perfectly. Both engines have OEM electronic ignition with all components replaced in 2002. Being "V" drives, both engines are readily accessible through large hatches in the cockpit. The fwd. stateroom is a typical Monk designed "V" berth which suffered from no double berth and too short a berth until a foot hole was cut (by the current owner) to tastefully add 6"in length. A partial fold out was added to the stbd. berth to make it a nice, albeit cozy double. The main salon has the lower station to stbd., overhead chart table, sliding doors for privacy, fire place and a fold out couch that sleeps two. Collectables include a rocking chair from my Aunt Barb (may she rest in peace), souvenir plates from the HMS Great Britain and the Frigatten Jutland (Danish). The oil lamp on the aft bulkhead to port is a replica of those used on the Frigatten Jutland and was made in Denmark. Down two steps and aft we come to the galley, aft head with shower and the dinette which makes into a berth for two. The galley is original stainless steel with large deep sinks, four burner gas stove and a built in, 10 cu. ft. fridge. Further aft and up 3 steps is the cockpit with hatches leading to the engine room beneath. An aft cockpit door leads to the large swim step and dinghy storage. A starboard ladder leads up to the fly bridge and a canvas (added in 1993) enclosed second steering station. The boat has been cruised to Alaska but not by us. We have gone as far north as the Broughten Group in BC (Echo Bay) and try to spend 6 to 8 weeks a summer cruising the wonderful waters between Olympia and there. We have taken her in numerous Opening Day and Daffodil Parades plus several wooden boat fairs. We have owned the boat for 13 years; she is a work in progress and the list of upgrades is long. She is home ported at Bremerton Yacht Club and kept snug in a boat house. Thank you for your interest.
Last modified: 08/19/2006